My name is Wilka Torrico De Carvalho and I am an Afro-Latino, socially sensitive, aspiring brain scientist. I am interested in exploring fields such as Bayesian Inference and Reinforcement Learning to uncover the learning and inference algorithms employed by the brain. To learn more, please read my research statement
. If you are interested in how my interests developed, please read my personal statement
If you are a young scholar looking for advice on pursuing research or applying for fellowships, please feel free to reach out to me for advice! Likewise for advice exploring the fields of machine learning, computational cognitive science, or computational neuroscience (or any intersection). This is especially true for those that come from marginalized groups--especially those that are Black and Hispanic!
You can contact me at wcarvalho92[at]gmail.edu
Below you can find my three latests blog posts.
- I have be a machine learning research intern at IBM this Fall!
- I have been selected for the GEM Fellowship under the sponsorship of IBM!
- I have been selected to be a student volunteer for ICLR!
- I have been selected for an ICLR travel award!
- I will be a machine learning research intern at Visa this summer!
- Our paper, "Variational Recurrent Adversarial Deep Domain Adaptation" was accepted to ICLR
- Our NIPS workshop paper has been selected for a Spotlight Talk.
- Attended Southern California Machine Learning Symposium and won runner-up in poster competition on machine learning applications.
- Our paper, "Variational Adversarial Deep Domain Adaptation for Health Care Time Series Analysis" was accepted for the NIPS Machine Learning for Healthcare workshop!
- The graduate school at USC has chosen to create a feature video of my research on domain adaptation that will be released in Spring!
- The graduate school at USC has selected me for a video in which I'll talk about applying for the NSF and give advice to future applicants.
Here is some other fun stuff.
Lastly, feel free to connect with me online